[GRASS-user] Re: Bug or my fault?

georgew gws293 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 17:50:55 EST 2010

Some more info.
My main platform is Win7 Pro, GRASS 6.4.0 standalone, Python 2.6.4.
But I have tried other platforms with identical setup, with the following
results:

1. All works well under Ubuntu 9.10.
2. But problem exists also in WinXP so it is not Win 7 specific, but it is
Windows specific.

You don't need a lot of vector files. You can have a single vector, then go
to the dbf directory and copy the single .dbf file in that same directory
(Windows will automatically give it a new name). Then copy all again in the
same directory and so on, after only 8 iterations you will have 256 files.
Open the original vector file in Grass and try to list the attribute table.
Unless there is something very specifically wrong with my setup, you should
experience the same problem I have.

And yes it is slow, very slow in fact, compared to Ubuntu which is almost
instantaneous in its response, and Win 7 is even slower than XP running as a
virtual machine!

I don't have grass 6.5 installed, so I cannot try it. If ther are Win
binaries available for it I will give it a go, but I need some more time.
Thanks again for your help