[GRASS-user] HTML manuals languages

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Feb 25 18:06:58 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>> > no/yes
>> >
>> > see  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Updating_GRASS_Documentation#Translations
>>
>> see also
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/846
>>
>> It would be great to make this (small?) modification to the Makefile
>> system - I just don't know how.
>
> As I said last time, first we need to determine whether:
>
> 1. A single set of manual pages are installed, for a single language,
> or:
> 2. Multiple languages are installed, in which case how are the files
> named and in which directories are they stored?

My suggestion some years ago was:
- naming scheme: description|module_ISO.html
- put files alongside the description|module.html files
- prefer existing description|module_ISO.html files in the installed docs/html/
  directory over the english one while having in the header or footer the
  link to the english page

> Also, if a translated manual page doesn't exist, the English version
> would presumably be used, but should the --html-description header be
> generated in English or in the selected language?

IMHO in the selected language to have as much as possible available in
that language (btw, the Japanese team translated almost all .po files in one
month!).

Markus