[GRASS-user] Using d.shadedmap with ps.map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 02:07:43 EST 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I am having difficulties getting nviz to produce quality maps
> (version 6.4svn). Using d.shadedmap and annotating with The GIMP
> produces a fine product.

nviz elev=dem color=landsat
?

> Is there a way to incorporate the capabilities of
> d.shadedmap within a ps.map script?

see the ps.output addon program for one way.

otherwise with ps.map you have to compose with d.shademap, then use
'd.out.file format=geotiff' with desired rows,cols and then r.in.gdal
the composite image back in. then you can use it with ps.map.

>   The display command drapes a raster over a shaded relief raster
> while the latter seems to only overlay vector maps on a single raster
> map.

d.shademap only runs with 2 rasters (but you can overlay other d.*
commands too).

ps.map limits you to a single raster map, or RGB 3-raster group.

nviz will let you load multiple rasters. in addition, most "Surface
Attributes" for each map can be another raster map.

(I've sort of lost track of which module(s) this question is about)

>   Despite reading the nviz tutorial and manual several times I still
> cannot get the north arrow, legends, or other annotations to
> produce sufficiently high quality output.

you can't get them to work at all? or e.g. the Arrow falls on top of
the word "North" etc. they are generally functional, but are still
rather clunky to use.

Hamish