[GRASS-user] ps.map Advice

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 4 14:41:45 EST 2010

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Nick Cahill wrote:

> I use ps.map only to export vectors to postscript. I then use v.in.region
> to create a box to show the region for any raster data (which is what
> takes up all the room in your postscript output), then use r.out.tif or
> whatever to dump the raster as a separate tif file; then merge the two in
> Adobe Illustrator (which is what I use for final map composition). An
> extra step, but gives lots of control.

Nick,

   The only Adobe product that runs on linux is acroread. Once I get the
system down I'll output to .eps for inclusion in LaTeX. That's the tool I
use for 99% of my writing. It's only when I have to send processed word
documents to colleagues or agencies running Microsoft that I use
OpenOffice.org's Writer.

   Running 'g.region -m' revealed that the resolutions were much too fine:
about 2m each direction. I changed that to 10m for both nsres and ewres and
the final .pdf is about 2.8M. I suppose that for printed output purposes
(separate from analytical purposes), I can make the resolution even more
coarse.

Rich