[GRASS-user] ps.map: header

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 5 10:46:16 EST 2010

Rich wrote:
>   The man page tells me that the header section of the input file
> will print the map title and location (if known) centered above the
> map if there is no file specified. When I specify a file the header is
> printed left-justified.

correct.

>   Is there a way to have the header centered when the
> text file is specified?

use the spacebar a lot? ;)
or use the 'text' instruction instead with y% as -5% or 105% or so..

looking in the ps.map/do_header.c source code there is in fact a lot
of rather interesting & undocumented formatting magic available.
(I looked because there's often a lot of old p.map goodies lurking about
in there waiting to be discovered)

%%  - literal %
%n  - ??? newline
%_  - horizontal bar
%d  - date
%l  - location name
%L  - Location's text description
%c  - "<%s> in mapset <%s>"
%m  - mapset name
%u  - user name
%x  - mask info
%-  - proceed to this char column number (? see example)

and example is given in the GRASS 5 source code:
  grass-5.4.1/src/paint/Programs/p.map/cmd/HEADER

%_
LOCATION: %-27l  DATE: %d
MAPSET:   %-27m  USER: %u

RASTER MAP: %c
MASK:     %x
%_
Produced by: US Army CERL, Champaign Illinois
Software:    GRASS
%_

I've now added this to the ps.map help page.
if anyone has a better idea how %n and %- should work, please post.
I expect for %-#x you will want to use a fixed-width font..

Hamish