[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii problems when creating 3d vector GRASS 6.5

stephen sefick sas0025 at auburn.edu
Wed Jan 6 12:24:52 EST 2010

I am trying to import a 3-d vector that will eventually be
interpolated with v.surf.idw.

I have GRASS 6.5 compiled from scratch with the following config script:

#ubuntu 9.10 configuration for Grass 6.5
CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure \
     --with-libs=/usr/lib64 \
     --with-cxx --with-freetype=yes \
     --with-postgres=no --with-sqlite=yes --enable-largefile=yes \
     --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.4 \
     --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2 \
     --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.6-config \
     --with-wxwidgets=yes \
     --with-nls --enable-largefile \
     --with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
     --with-readline \
     --with-cairo

I am using the following to import the ascii file:

v.in.ascii -z --overwrite input=a_04_xyz output=test z=3 fs=" "

This is a the head of the file:

2039043.000 540351.010 150.150

2039052.970 540351.010 150.480

2039062.980 540351.010 150.810

2039072.980 540351.010 151.140

2039082.990 540351.010 151.470

2039093.000 540351.010 151.790

2039102.970 540351.010 151.790

2039112.980 540351.010 151.790

2039122.980 540351.010 151.790

2039132.990 540351.010 151.470

2039143.000 540351.010 151.140

The problem is that I get this message when I try and query to layer
to make sure that it is indeed a 3-d vector:

Database connection for vector map <test at PERMANENT> is not defined in
DB file. You can define new connection in 'Manage layers' tab.

Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

--
Stephen Sefick

Let's not spend our time and resources thinking about things that are
so little or so large that all they really do for us is puff us up and
make us feel like gods.  We are mammals, and have not exhausted the
annoying little problems of being mammals.

								-K. Mullis