[GRASS-user] Searching Docs about 3D geological modelisation

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Fri Jan 8 13:37:43 EST 2010

Thanks for the answers,

Having used it a little with archaeological structures it was no wonder
that the first software I thought about was grass, but the main
difference is, as you pointed out, that in this case I do not have a
well defined volume.

I was thinking about using r3.in.ascii and then r.to.rast3 but it
doesn't seems to be the right thing to do on a large scale (150km²) due
to potential multiple top/bottom crossing of the generated layers.

Your screenshots are exactly the kind of data visualization I'm seeking
to obtain.

Jean Roc

Le 08/01/2010 00:34, Benjamin Ducke a écrit :
> Well, you are in luck and trouble at the same time. Out of all GIS I
> know, GRASS is the only one that's competent at handling 3D,
> volumetric rasters (aka voxels, which is really what you want for
> stratigraphic models). On the other hand, efficient voxel modelling
> from sparse 3D data, such as well logs and transects remains really
> challenging.
 >
 > The problem with well logs is also that often the data is of a
 > "qualitative" nature, indicating the presence and absence of types of
 > material. There is no interpolation algorithm in GRASS currently
 > which can handle that sort of data well.
 >
> I have attached two screenshots of models that I once produced from
> log data. One has been interpolated with GRASS' 3D splines algorithm
> (which was a bit cheating, really), the other is some sort of 3D IDW
> interpolation done directly in VisIt. I don't think they turned out
> too great.
 >
> But, hey: it's still more realistic than drawing on a piece of paper
> and playing the old "connect the logs with lines" game...

You missed the use of Illustrator