[GRASS-user] Running Grass Remotely

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Jan 11 18:23:44 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> stephen sefick wrote:
>
>> I would like to run grass remotely on a server running ubuntu.  I
>> would like to be able to forward the X11 to my desktop running ubuntu
>> 9.10 over the network.  Any help or pointers to reading material would
>> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Connecting to the server with "ssh -Y ..." should forward X11
> connections back to the desktop system automatically (so long as this
> hasn't been disabled in the server's sshd configuration). This is
> generally simpler than configuring the desktop system to allow remote
> X clients to connect directly.

Ah nice, forgot about that.

Related question: I have to login into my office machine via an ssh gateway
where no home directories exist:

ssh -Y isen.xx.zz
Could not chdir to home directory /home/neteler: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/X11/xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/neteler/.Xauthority

neteler at isen:/$ ssh -Y geodata
Could not create directory '/home/neteler/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host 'geodata (10.0.101.47)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 0c:d2:b4:2c:09:17:63:8c:74:b2:08:ba:d3:77:f6:b4.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts
(/home/neteler/.ssh/known_hosts).
neteler at geodata's password:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
Last login: Tue Jan 12 00:15:24 2010 from 194.xx.yy.zz

[neteler at geodata ~]$ xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
[neteler at geodata ~]$

Does the authentication fail due to the absence of the home directory?
Fake authentication does not suffice? If not I'll try to convince our admin
to give me a home directory on the gateway machine.

Markus