[GRASS-user] How to Import and Export Maps Using Grass

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 18:53:19 EST 2010

David Benman wrote:
> I am programming a flight simulator and need to create
> landscape imagery. I have downloaded the New York State
> orthoimagery available at
> http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gateway/mg/2006/onondaga/

(see also the now mostly defunct (mature?) terragear project at
http://terragear.org/ which supplies the SRTM landscapes for FlightGear)

> I now need to combine several image tiles into one,

see the g.region and r.patch modules:

g.region rast=map1,map2,map3,...
r.patch in=map1,map2,map3,... out=patched map

> reduce their resulting size, etc.

see the 'g.region res=' and r.resamp.* modules.

> Basically, I'd like to be able to view the imagery as a set
> of combined images and then be able to output areas at specific
> pixel resolutions.

sure, sounds perfectly reasonable.

Hamish