[GRASS-user] Wxpython GUI in UBUNTU 9.10

Kim Besson kimbesson1981 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:29:04 EST 2010

Hello All

I'm a new user of GRASS and I have downloaded grass (6.4.0~rc5-2) for i386
architecture from http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/grass.

as far as I can see GRASS by command line is working. Now the problem seems
to be wxpython
grass64 -wxpython I get this error:

Starting GRASS ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py", line 33, in <module>
    from gui_modules import globalvar
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/globalvar.py", line 55, in
<module>
    CheckForWx()
  File "/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/globalvar.py", line 44, in
CheckForWx
    except (ImportError, ValueError, wxversion.VersionError), e:
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'wxversion' referenced before assignment
Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
Switching to text mode now.
Hit RETURN to continue...

Can anyone help me on this?

By the way, If I want to update my GRASS installation I just have to
download a weekly snapshot ans install/Make it?

Thanks

Best regards,
Kim