[GRASS-user] size (in disk) of a raster map

Milton Cezar Ribeiro miltinho.astronauta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 01:55:30 EST 2010

Dear all,

How can I know the size occupied by one raster map?
The 2G size limit for each map consider the sum of
all files that is part of the map, or for each individual
file?

I just created a map=null() using r.mapcalc, and the
..\newLocation\PERMANENT\cell_misc\myMap\null
file is about 1.6GB. If I update my map with
non-null values, the \cell_misc\myMap\null file
will increase or decrese (I suspect will decrease)?

I observed that some files like \fcell\MyMap
are actually ~2.8GB, but when I see the
map the south part is "empty" and
r.what return an error message: r.what: -f  - can't read

May be the 2G limit issue

bests

milton