[GRASS-user] g.version.exe caught in anti-virus

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jan 25 12:50:42 EST 2010

Daniel Victoria wrote:

> Don't know if this is the right place to report or even if there is
> something we can do about it but, I installed grass from osgeo4w and,
> when running a virus scanner (a squared), it said g.version.exe
> contains a virus.
>
> I believe it to be a false positive because, according to virus total,
> only 3 in 41 av engines thinks this to be a virus.
> http://www.virustotal.com/pt/analisis/cfab92d4eff8655728c9bdfc31685577b6e41d322d637f9177e32438e77a6daa-1264421385

And the three positives are all generic/heuristic classifications,
which tend to have high rates of false positives.

In any case, there isn't much that we can do about it. It's not as if
there's any information avilable regarding what causes a particular
antivirus product to classify the executable as a virus.