[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 26 20:53:03 EST 2010

   I successfully cut out of the source DEM a small area matching that of the
project watershed. When I ran r.slope.aspect the output maps looked as they
should.

   Feeling irrationally exuberant that I might be able to quickly move on to
hydrological modeling, I just tried running r.shaded.relief on the same
raster DEM map used for the slopes, aspects, and curvatures. No joy. the
relief map looks like the earlier slope and aspect ones: vertical bands of
horizontal static.

   This is all within the latest weekly checkout of 6.4. What might I be
missing if all I specify to r.shaded.relief is the input and output map name
and leave the other options at their defaults?

Rich