[GRASS-user] Compiling r.example in LINUX- Still one error

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jan 28 20:14:54 EST 2010

António Rocha wrote:

> Regarding this issue.
> Although it's compiling r.example I'm getting the following error:
> ERROR: G_getenv(): Variable LOCATION_NAME not set
>
> What does this mean? I need to have a demolocation folder in my
> GRASSsvn6.4.0 folder?

The default rule for a module attempts to build the HTML
documentation, which involves running the program with the
--html-description flag to obtain the module/option/flag descriptions.

Running the module requires that GISRC is set and refers to a file
containing settings for at least GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET. I
don't recall whether those values need to be valid, or just exist.

The rule sets GISRC from RUN_GISRC, which is defined as:

RUN_GISRC = ${ARCH_DISTDIR}/demolocation/.grassrc${GRASS_VERSION_MAJOR}${GRASS_VERSION_MINOR}

You can either copy the demolocation directory from the source tree,
or just change the value of RUN_GISRC to point to a suitable file.