[GRASS-user] Re: grass environment script

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Jan 30 22:17:31 EST 2010

maven apache wrote:

> In fact I mean how can I run grass in a common windows xp command line.
> I have read this page:http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Shell,however it
> is about linux, and I am not sure which environment is requried.

The same principles can be applied to any language and any operating
system.

The main point is that the GRASS libraries expect certain environment
variables to be set (mainly GISBASE and GISRC), and the file
referenced by GISRC should contain settings for GISDBASE,
LOCATION_NAME, and MAPSET.

There is a list of environment variables in the file
$GIBASE/docs/html/variables.html (lib/init/variables.html in the
source tree).

Variables relating to specific display drivers are listed in the
driver's documentation (e.g. pngdriver.html for the PNG driver).

> Also I may need to change the location and mapset after import a
> data(for example a geotiff).

You can use g.mapset or g.gisenv to change these parameters.