[GRASS-user] Adding only one label per cat

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:26:32 EST 2010

Hello,

I have a vector file that has some islands on it.  I would like to add
labels to the map, but do not want it to add a label to every island, just
to the broader category.  To illustrate, say I have a map of southeast Asia,
I want to put the name of each country on the map, centred over the country.
But when I try that (or equivalent), I end up with "Philippines" written
over every single island of the Philippines, instead of just over the
country itself.  I tried to use v.type and convert from centroid to point,
and then put the labels on each point, but it takes the centroid for each
polygon (island) instead of the broader category (country) so I ended up
with the same problem.  Can somebody please let me know how to get around
this?

Thanks for the help,
Tim