[GRASS-user] Re: Defining/using MMU

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 13:32:14 EDT 2010

Hi Lisa,

I assume you're meaning you want to eliminate contigious areas whose size is
lower than 20 ha, right?

I'd suggest converting the raster into a vector with r.to.vect and then
running v.to.db to compute the area of each polygon. The polygons will be
have accepted the values of the cells they were made from and if several
cells were adjacent with the same value they'll be made into one polygon.
Then you can use v.edit to delete all the polygons that don't have a large
enough area. After that, a quick trick would be to convert the vector map
back into a raster map and use r.mapcalc to divide it by itself so that
you've only got values of 1 or NULL and then multiplying that by your land
use raster. The result should be all the land use classes you calculated,
but the cells that were multiplied with NULL will now also have the value of
NULL.

Maybe that's not the most elegant way to do things, but it's the one that
popped into my mind. Anybody have a better method?

Best,
Daniel