[GRASS-user] v.in.gpsbabel-2

Bulent Arikan bulent.arikan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 09:56:15 EDT 2010

Hi,

Hamish, thanks for your suggestion about fixing the GPS Babel application
issue. It worked and now I can run the module.

I am back with another issue, again ' v.in.gpsbabel' module! My GPS unit
records data in UTM projection with WGS84 datum. I just attempted to import
the waypoints into GRASS using a Garmin MapSource text (tab delimited) file.
I did not check -k flag (do not transform from WGS84). I kept the format box
in the Required tab in default and provided PROJ.4 parameter for UTM

[ +proj=utm +zone=36 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs ] in the
Proj box of the Required tab, since this module assumes lat/long projection
with WGS84 datum.

Here are the error messages I receive:

[ERROR] SERIAL: tcgetattr error: Inappropriate ioctl for

device

[ERROR] Cannot open serial port '/Users/barikan2/Grmn.txt'

GARMIN:Can't init /Users/barikan2/Grmn.txt

/Users/barikan2/Desktop/GRASS-6.5.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts

/v.in.gpsbabel: line 263:

/Users/barikan2/grassdata/TR_WGS84_36N/PERMANENT/.tmp

/Bulent-Arikans-iMac.local/1470.0.xcsv: No such file or

directory

/Users/barikan2/Desktop/GRASS-6.5.app/Contents/MacOS/scripts

/v.in.gpsbabel: line 263: [: : integer expression expected

ERROR: Error loading data from gpsbabel

I used few other Garmin file formats such as Garmin Points of Interest
(.gpi) and Garmin MapSource (.mps) and the result does not change. I assume
I am doing something wrong with the Projection detail!

I will appreciate suggestions/advice.

Thanks,
--
BÜLENT