[GRASS-user] GRASS doesn't "see" a newly-created raster file as a raster

I. Syncrasy syncrasy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 12:46:43 EDT 2010

As part of an exercise using the "North Carolina" sample files, I am supposed to export the raster file landclass96 to ASCII format, then import the newly created ASCII file to create a new raster. (It's a test of our ASCII export/import skills, I suppose.)

I believe I succeeded in creating the ASCII file ("landclass96.asc"), and I believe I succeeded in importing/outputting the file as a new raster (using "r.in.ascii landclass96.asc out=mylandclass").

But when I try to display the raster I called "mylandclass", it doesn't appear in the list of available rasters. I've tried importing/outputting to both the user1 and PERMANENT directories. In the MacOS Finder I can see the file "mylandclass" in the "hist" folder of both locations, but GRASS doesn't recognize it as a raster.

How do I get GRASS to see this raster? (And how do I know if it even *is* a true raster?)