[GRASS-user] Re: EPSG code for KML (micha@arava.co.il)

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Sun Jul 18 21:13:16 EDT 2010

Thanks. I'm just now back and will try this out soon.

Michael
____________________
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

On Jul 15, 2010, at 12:29 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> If you create a link to the binary inside the OS X gpsbabel application, you should be ok. You can do this, assuming you have the latest gpsbabel binary install in your Applications folder, with this command from the Terminal:
>
> sudo ln -s /Applications/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel /usr/local/bin/gpsbabel
>
> Alternatively, you can add the path to your Bash profile.
>
> Hope that helps,
> John
>
> On Jul 12, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I've been teaching a workshop on basic GPS + GIS for archaeology in China, using QGIS.
>>
>> For the Mac at least, the QGIS GPS tools don't work--or don't work correctly. I've got the latest and greatest GPSBabel and QGIS 1.4. The QGIS GPS plugin cannot find GPSBabel. It seems this is because it is assuming that it is set up like on Linux instead of like on the Mac.
>>
>> Michael
>> ____________________
>> C. Michael Barton
>> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:20:22 +0300
>> From: micha at arava.co.il
>> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] EPSG code for KML
>> To: "Bulent Arikan" <bulent.arikan at gmail.com>
>> Cc: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org

>>> I was wondering about this. I read several online articles about the
>>> problems and the doubts that EPSG has. Unfortunately, I was planning to
>>> use
>>> this for my archaeological work, which requires accuracy such as locating
>>> the trenches and the features, like walls. My issue is, when I need to
>>> show
>>> polygons (e.g., a rectangle representing a trench), I transfer my GPS
>>> points
>>> (the readings at 4 corners) to GE and create a polygon there, save it as
>>> KML. Then, I open this in QGIS, make a shape file there and import it into
>>> GRASS. I suspect there is some distortion and this is a far too