[GRASS-user] LiDAR Data?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jun 9 18:14:29 EDT 2010

   I thought that I could use LiDAR data within grass, but the 6.4 r.in.gdal
man page does not include that format. Is this the wrong module for these data?

   There are two topographic quadrangle files that cover the project drainage
basin, and the data DVDs cost $200 each. I want to make high resolution DEMs
of the project basin and try to determine flood elevations for different
storm events from those. According to the data source, "All data are format
specific to ESRI GIS format. Data must be viewed using specialty software
capable of viewing .shp, geotif, and ESRI grid formats."

   I suppose that r.in.gdal will import the .shp files. I've not worked with
geotif or ESRI grid formats so any experiences of you folks with these
formats and LiDAR data will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich