[GRASS-user] LiDAR Data?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 9 19:23:02 EDT 2010

(This didn't hit the list before...)

On Thursday 10 of June 2010 00:14:29 Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I thought that I could use LiDAR data within grass, but the 6.4
> r.in.gdal man page does not include that format. Is this the wrong module
> for these data?
>
>    There are two topographic quadrangle files that cover the project
> drainage basin, and the data DVDs cost $200 each. I want to make high
> resolution DEMs of the project basin and try to determine flood elevations
> for different storm events from those. According to the data source, "All
> data are format specific to ESRI GIS format. Data must be viewed using
> specialty software capable of viewing .shp, geotif, and ESRI grid
> formats."

> I suppose that r.in.gdal will import the .shp files. I've not worked
> with geotif or ESRI grid formats so any experiences of you folks with
> these formats and LiDAR data will be much appreciated.

Rich,

Geotiff is more than supported in the OSGeo world. And ESRI grid's I've
imported (and exported after some trial and error) successfully sometimes, not
worked frequently with such a format though.

See also [1][2][3]. But the grass-gis-lidar experts will chime in I bet...

My 2 drachmas [4] (kept some of the previous greek coins for any case... :-p),
Nikos

---
[1] <http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/>
[2] <http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html>