[GRASS-user] polygons and centroids redux

Dave Roberts dvrbts at ecology.msu.montana.edu
Fri Jun 11 10:34:16 EDT 2010

Friends,

      This is the second time in two days I have had to post an apology
and retraction for hasty questions.  I apologize for testing everyone's
patience.  Thanks Markus; I was composing this message when I saw your
post.  I mistook a centroid of a polygon too small to plot at the
current resolution as the centroid of the surrounding hollow area.  My
mistake; sorry.

     It does raise a question, however, of what the conditions are that
cause d.what.vect to return a feature type of "Boundary" rather than
"Area" when querying a map.  Is it simply proximity to the boundary, and
can that behavior be suppressed in preference to always returning the
data associated with the centroid?

Thanks, Dave
David W. Roberts                                     office 406-994-4548
Department of Ecology                         email droberts at montana.edu
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717-3460