[GRASS-user] Cost Distance Analysis

LeeDaniel Lee.Daniel.1986 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:21:03 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to perform a cost-distance analysis? I'm planning a
street and have assigned various costs to different surfaces in my planning
area. As I understand it, I need to perform the following steps:

1. r.cost using the starting point to generate a cost map for each pixel
2. r.walk to generate a raster with cumulative movement costs for each pixel
from the point of origin
3. r.drain to generate the road

My problem is, I don't want to model drainage; I want to find the route with
the lowest costs possible to connect two points. Is there a way to calculate
the path of least resistance from my origin point to a goal point? I've
thought of using r.cost with two different points and then performing
r.drain to connect the two. But would that work? It seems like r.drain
produces paths that end at the point with the lowest cost, but that's not my
goal - it gives me no control over where the street ends.

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Daniel