[GRASS-user] Mac Requirements for GRASS

Barton Michael michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jun 22 11:35:56 EDT 2010

I'll second William's comments.

Any new Mac will do a good job of running GRASS. Even on older models, 3D and processor intensive tasks go pretty quickly.

Some multi-threading is in the works for GRASS 7, but it remains limited.

Other than that, you can benefit from any of the other performance enhancements you mention. The tradeoff is simply cost vs. speed of processing and/or size of data files that can be handled. Graphics, even OpenGL graphics for NVIZ, don't seem to put a lot of load on the Mac display system. Normally you get the biggest boost from faster drives and more RAM, especially when processing large files. I don't yet know the effect of the i-series turbo mode. From what I've read it is NOT yet worthwhile to get a solid state drive. The Mac OS doesn't yet support automatic SSD optimization meaning that performance will degrade over time unless you regularly use the equivalent of a defragmentation utility for SSDs. Down the road, this might make a BIG difference for processing large files, but not yet.

I just got a new iMac that is pretty souped up (similar to the one you spec below) and it runs GRASS VERY fast.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
www: www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu