[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 50, Issue 75

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Tue Jun 29 13:14:30 EDT 2010

Hi Folks,

Okay, through trial and error I figured it out.  Lat Long coordinates entered into a SQLite data base should be entered as DOUBLE.  I went over to decimal Lat Long and used negative instead of W.  It came out fine.  I used v.in.db to create a point vector.  The only field types you can use as coordinates are INTEGER and DOUBLE.  Since INTEGER cuts off the fraction (which can produce some peculiar point vectors) DOUBLE is what you need.

to used v.in.db you need to type "v.in.db table=name (whatever you name the table) driver=sqlite database=/Users/account/grassdata/LOCATION/MAPSET/named.db (You need the path to the database you created this is how I have it set up in OS X.  In this case I stuck my target database in my MAPSET.  I may do it elsewhere in the future) x=column with longitude y=column with latitude (I imaginatively used East and North) output=name of vector.

I haven't played with the fields "z" or "where" yet.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.  There may be a more efficient way of doing it, but this worked.

Kurt