[GRASS-user] importing dem files: projection details?

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at eku.edu
Sun Mar 14 01:19:13 EST 2010

Hi,

It's been a while since I used GRASS, and I'm having trouble getting my
data into the system. The data I'm working on is available here:

http://kymartian.ky.gov/demwebusgs/har/index.html

It's USGS format DEM data. The meta data is found here:

http://kymartian.ky.gov/demwebusgs/DEM_dem.xml

Apparently, the metadata is not available in the data files, so I had to
enter the details by hand in setting up a new location. I'm working from
Neteler and Mitasova 3rd ed., but otherwise have very limited GIS
background. My attempt at the projection is listed below. It appears
that I'm using two different systems here, with the actual raster file
in units of meters, while the default region is measured in degrees. I'm
not sure how to convert the easting/northing into degrees, or the
degrees into meters. I've also tried this with State Plane System and
Lat-Long, but haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong. Please help!

Thanks,

Tyler

-PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------
name       : Lambert Conformal Conic