[GRASS-user] importing dem files: projection details?

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at eku.edu
Mon Mar 15 08:35:45 EDT 2010

On 03/15/2010 03:42 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> The rule is that you can have only one projection in a location.
> If you have several projections you need several locations and
> to reproject data between them (r.proj, v.proj).
>
> GRASS can generate locations directly from metadata.

So far, I've failed to convince GRASS to do anything directly.

Trying the auto route:

grass64 -gui
select define new location with georeferenced file
select the dem file: k42.dem
select the TN transformation, as probably better than the default for
adjacent Kentucky
enter GRASS with the newly created location and the PERMANENT mapset

Results in this error:

"g.proj or projection error: ERROR: default region is invalid
     line 3: <north: 1080:43:46N>"

So GRASS has automatically set up the location using degrees, and then
get confused when the raster co-ordinates are provided in meters. Which
appears to be fairly close to the sort of problem I ran into when
setting this up manually. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Tyler