[GRASS-user] ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 2147483648 bytes at main.c:153

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 01:41:12 EDT 2010

Nathaniel wrote:
> Hi, i am trying extract road network
> from a raster map but each time i run the image filter, i
> get this error message: ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate
> 2147483648 bytes at main.c:153.

aka it is trying to use >2gig RAM and there is not enough memory.
Possibly because you are not using a 64bit OS, and possibly because
you don't actually have that much memory in your computer.
Maybe try on a smaller dataset?

> i also connnot use the i.class command on my windows
> machine which is the platform i am working with.

you will have to wait for someone to build GRASS 6.4.0RC6 for Cygwin.
i.class uses UNIX-style Xmonitors which are not available on standard
MS Windows. (or try GRASS on a Mac or Linux computer/virtual machine)

Hamish