[GRASS-user] translucency and svg output

pete davidson caitifty at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:52:42 EDT 2010

Hi all

I'm producing maps in svg format using the cairo driver and d.out.file.  One
thing I'd really like to be able to do is set one or more of the vector
layers to be partially translucent.  After rummaging through this list, I'm
beginning to wonder if its possible at all, since translucency in the guis
seems to be handled by g.pnmcomp, but perhaps someone with more experience
knows a way to do it.

eg:

d.mon start=x1
d.vect map=road_lines
d.vect map=forest_areas                                  # this is the layer
I need translucent
d.out.file -c ~/Desktop/test format=svg
d.mon stop=x1

The only workaround I've managed to find so far is to export each layer as
an individual svg, then use something like inkscape to rejoin them, setting
the translucency/transparency of each layer as I do it.  Which is fine for a
map with only a few layers, but gets tedious when dealing with maps with
dozens of layers.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Regards

Peter Davidson