[GRASS-user] Newbie... Locations, Projections, Regions, choices? (long)

Randy Bradley Randy.Bradley at ars.usda.gov
Wed Mar 31 14:30:29 EDT 2010

On 03/31/10 2:57 AM, "Micha Silver" <micha at arava.co.il> wrote:

> It looks like you're off to a good start. All you need to do, in the aeaConUs
> location, is save a few regions. Begin with:
> g.region vect=<states_vect> save=ConUS
> You might want to save this Continental zoom as the default with
> g.region -s ConUS
> Then zoom to each of the E,Central,W etc areas and save an additional region,
> i.e. (after zooming to central region):
> g.region save=Central
> You can alternatively specify the region bounds with something like:
> g.region save=Central west=-120 east=-110 ...
> This all can be done in the GUI with Config->Region.
>
> Now you "jump" to each of the saved regions with
> g.region reg=Central
> etc...

Thanks Micha.  Good to know I¹m on the right course.  After the first step:
³g.region vect=States save=ConUS² I can indeed ³zoom to saved region² in the
display to view the map.  However, g.region region=ConUS shows:

projection: 99 (Albers Equal Area)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      1838.08985202
south:      34.12860299
west:       -1467.66023444
east:       1403.23869107
nsres:      0.05000031
ewres:      0.04999998
rows:       36079
cols:       57418
cells:      2071584022

Unfortunately, the bounds are all offset from the central axis so I can¹t
use the lat. & lon. values for the boundaries as you suggest.  (ie west=-120
east=-110)  I can overlay a grid and get a good estimate of values that will
work to define my regions.