[GRASS-user] Accessing Old Grass Files

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 31 14:52:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Gary Nobles <garynobles at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just been handed a file of old grass 4.1 mapsets and they want them
> to be readable in Grass 6.4 for exporting to ArcGIS.

Do you want to use raster or vector files? Or both?

> I have 6.4 on a linux computer, is there anyway of opening them in 6.4 or do
> i need to install 4.1? Where do I find 4.1? is there an easy sudo install
> grass4.1 commandline?

Perhaps it is not needed to install GRASS 4 for this. I have started a new
Wiki page to help with the needed format migrations:

 http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GRASS_database

(@devs/power users: please update/enhance)

> I tried to access them with 6.4 and i get the error Warning:<PERNAMENT> is
> not a valid mapset.

There may be subtle differences in the PROJ_INFO and/or DEFAULT_WIND files
which are ASCII and hence easy to update.
The "meld" tool (http://meld.sourceforge.net/) is very nice to compare two files
and to sync them.

Markus