[GRASS-user] v.vol.idw

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Sat May 1 12:29:32 EDT 2010

I can only speculate that you are really
referring to "s.vol.idw" (?)
As the name implies, this is a module that
uses the now outdated "site" data model for its
input data. Some of those modules never made
the transition to GRASS 6 and its new vector engine.
It was still around in GRASS 5.3.
They are generally easy to convert to the new API though.

But perhaps someone on this list knows more about it?

It would certainly be useful to have IDW in voxel space.
IDW is primitive and generally does not give results
as good as spline-based interpolation (unless your data
is very dense and regularly spaced), but it has the advantage
of being simple (so it's easy to make sense of the result
data) and fast.

Ben