[GRASS-user] nearmap WMS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 07:03:45 EDT 2010

Tony Bazeley wrote:
> I'm new to GRASS, even newer to WMS and am trying to import
> some nearmap tiles.  I have some partial success as shown below.
>
> Could the solution be changing file extensions and running
> gdalwarp with appropriate parameters?
>
> If so I have no idea of the next step.
>
> I've tried changing the file extension to .tiff but the
> file is unreadable by GIMP
> GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (NorthernLP):~ > r.in.wms
>   layers=Adelaide_Australia
>   mapserver=http://wms.nearmap.com  output=nearmap01
> Calculating tiles
> Requesting 4 tiles.
> Downloading tiles
> Downloading data
> 2010-05-09 17:45:23 URL:http://wms.nearmap.com/ [89012/89012]
> ->
> "/home/..../grassdata/wms_download/nearmap01__0.geotiff"
> [1]
> .
> .
> All tiles downloaded successfully
> ERROR 4:
> `/home/....../grassdata/wms_download/nearmap01__0.geotiff'
> not
> recognised as a supported file format.
>
> ERROR: r.in.gdalwarp: gdalwarp failure.
> ERROR: r.in.gdalwarp failed

see  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1025

an error occurred and the error detection logic failed so you don't
see the useful error message explaining what went wrong.

the downloaded "tiff" image probably contains some text file.
you'll have to remove it otherwise it will think the tile is already
downloaded.

as it generally works for me, I'd need to know the output of:

  cd $GISBASE/wms_cache/
  file -b really_a_xml.tif

in order to improve it.

what operating system + version do you use?

often the "-g" flag helps when working with older WMS servers.

good luck,
Hamish