[GRASS-user] r.lake - starting from shell problem

Annalisa Minelli annagrass6 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:16:43 EDT 2010

Dear List,
I'm using GRASS 6.5 -wxpython, just compiled last sunday and I found a
(maybe) stupid block:
when I run r.lake from the line command of the layer manager, the module
(and its interface) starts up without problems but when I try to run it from
shell (typing simply "r.lake") I had the following error:

GRASS 6.5.svn (GAUSS_BOAGA_EST):~ > r.lake
sh: ?: not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py", line
1983, in <module>
    task = grassTask(cmd[0])
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py", line
324, in __init__
    processTask(tree =
etree.fromstring(getInterfaceDescription(grassModule)),
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py", line
1780, in getInterfaceDescription
    raise IOError, _("Unable to fetch interface description for command
'%s'.") % cmd
IOError: Unable to fetch interface description for command '?'.

What does it mean? I tried to have a look to the menuform.py script and the
function getInterfaceDescription.. but I don't understand "what" he cannot
found and why.

Many thanks.
Yours, Annalisa

ps: I' m trying to solve a similar problem on winGRASS too.. I have my
python script and I'd like it to run on winGRASS but after placing it in the
"script" directory and invoking the command, I had the same identical
error..