[GRASS-user] problems starting Grass6.3 and 6.5svn on Windows: "Error setting region (Problem with g.region?):child killed:unknown signal"

Vishal Mehta vishalm1975 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:19:32 EDT 2010

I could use some help getting Grass to work on my Windows XP..

Here's some information:
- I've tried using Grass6.3 and Grass 6.5svn installers, bith are giving the
same problem. After the installation, upon starting Grass, as its loading
the GUI, it crashes after this message: Error setting region (Problem with
g.region?): child killed: unknown signal."

- After that i get another message window called Error in Startup script
with a long list of error messages that starts with  'cant rad parts(w) no
such variable....;

- when i starting GRASS using the Msys interface, I get the same message
after the splash screen, but Grass does start up. I can then run commands
like g.list rast etc, but cannot start the visual interface - i can never
start the gis.m display (it gives the same error message).

- My GRASS 6.3 installation was working fine until a couple of weks ago. I
cant figure out what could have changed in the meantime. I've installed QGIS
in the meantime but i dont see how that could interfere..

Thanks,
Vishal

--
Vishal K. Mehta, PhD