[GRASS-user] Open a raster from other MAPSET

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed May 26 14:10:06 EDT 2010

Kim Besson wrote:
> Hi there,
> At my location have 2 MAPSETS: Mapset Regional, with raster with 300m
> SpatiaL Resolution and Mapset Urban with 5 meters Spatial Resolution.
> I need to pass a LandCovermap from Mapset regional to my Urban mapset but I
> need it in the same 5 meters Spatial Resolution instead of the original
> 300m. My question is: can this be done? and how can I pass a map from one
> Mapset to the other?

As long as both MAPSETS are in the same location, g.copy is all you
need to transfer a map from one MAPSET to another MAPSET. A much
simpler solution would be to grant access to the source MAPSET. For
landcover maps which are categorical, resampling with something else
than nearest neighbors does not make sense because anything else than
nearest neighbors will produce floating point values which do not make
sense for a categorical map. Resampling a map with nearest neighbors
1) is done automatically if you increase the resolution, 2) does not
add higher detail when increasing the resolution.

In short, as long as you stay within the same location, grant access
to the mapset of interest, set the computational region to your
demands, do the processing you need.

HTH,

Markus M