[GRASS-user] Area weighting for vectors

Hanlie Pretorius hanlie.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:55:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

I need to add some attributes from a soil polygon layer to a catchment
polygon layer using area weighting. In other words, the contribution
of the soil layer needs to be weighted by the amount with which its
polygons overlap the catchment polygons.

For example, suppose I want to weight soil infiltration rates. 30% of
a catchment polygon overlaps with soil type 1 and 70% overlaps with
soil type 2. Now I want a new attribute in the catchment polygon that
takes 30% of the infiltration rate of soil type 1 and adds it to 70%
of the infiltration rate of soil type 2.

How can I do this in GRASS?

Thanks
Hanlie