[GRASS-user] v.dissolve for lines?

Bryan Keith bryan at ideotrope.org
Fri Nov 5 15:59:35 EDT 2010

> On 10/19/2010 11:17 PM, Bryan Keith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a vector line file that has lots of two-vertex lines.  Many of
>> these two-vertex lines share endpoints and really just make parts of one
>> longer line.  I'd like to dissolve these lines into one line when they
>> have the same end point.  It looks like v.dissolve only works for areas.
>> Is there somewhere else I should be looking?  Thank you.
>>

> Did you have a look at v.build.polylines ?
> Additional note: line vectors have a direction. Two line segments with
> an equivalent node (end point) will *not* connect if they are in
> opposite directions. In this case you can try the v.edit tool=flip
> option (on those segments only)

Thank you for the response.  I finally got around to looking at this
today.  I made a simple example and tested with v.build.polylines, and it
works great.  Thank you.

However, it turns out that I have many duplicate lines in my dataset.  I
created a simple example where there are duplicate lines, and
v.build.polylines doesn't work in that case.  What do I need to look at to
get rid of duplicate lines?

Bryan