[GRASS-user] Two Generic Questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 10 15:46:30 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Mark Seibel wrote:

> For #2, I cant speak from a technical aspect, but I came across this
> information about usage: "...However, you cannot sell these to others,
> provide them as part of a service, or use them in a commercial product
> such as a book or TV show without first getting a rights clearance from
> Google."

Mark,

   I'm certain that lawyers could bill many hours arguing whether using a
Google Earth image as a map overlay is a part of a service or commercial
product. :-)

   More to the point, I think such images are more valuable as part of a
pretty presentation than as a map of analytical results. I asked the
question only because I've seen them used by others (running ESRI software,
not GRASS) and was curious if anyone here had used them.

Thanks for sharing,

Rich