[GRASS-user] Re: Exporting Vector data to SHP (v.out.ogr)- takes a lot of time

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 15 04:47:34 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Luis Lisboa <luislisboa1975 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well in this case I'm building my Msc Thesis on GRASS
> (interfaces+functions+modles) and tyhat would mean loose some part of my
> work So, and since GRASS6.4.0 was expected to export this data, what can I
> do? is this a lack-of-memory problem?

Hamish suggested to check if v.out.ogr is really frozen, i.e. it
should keep the cpu busy. As long as it keeps the cpu busy, everything
is fine and you just have to wait it out. Of course you can also check
how much memory v.out.ogr currently uses. If v.out.ogr goes into swap
space, it will take a very long time. 213680 areas is a lot, and it
will most probably take more than 10 minutes, rather give it a few
hours or run it overnight. It will also require a bit of disk space,
several 100MB, just to be sure you could check that there is enough
disk space where the shapefile is supposed to be written to.

Since the vector to be exported is a converted raster, apparently
without further modification, why not exporting the raster?

> Martin Landa:
>>
>> you can also try GRASS 7.

v.out.ogr in GRASS 7 is probably not much faster, and you would have
to rebuild topology first which will most probably also take more than
10 minutes for 213680 areas...

Markus M