[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief visual banding

Patrick Dolan pdolan39 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:14:47 EST 2010

Hello all,
Are there known issues with "banding" in the output of the
r.shaded.relief command? When I say banding, I mean the generation of
regularly occurring, narrow vertical and horizontal lines. I've just
created a large shaded relief map of the northern Pacific coasts of the
USA and Canada from the STRM 90m v.4 Arc/Ascii files. At ~380 m
intervals, ~30 m bands have been generated that crisscross the output.
I'd like to know if this is a consequence of the STRM 90 data set
(notably 3DEM appears to have no similar trouble with the same data), or
an artifact of the shaded relief command in GRASS. I can attach an image
if this would help the diagnosis.

Much appreciated,
Patrick Dolan