[GRASS-user] r.shaded.relief visual banding

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:28:06 EST 2010

Looking into a different direction: how come you noticed ~30m bands
while SRTM is 3 arc sec (~90m at the equator)? Have you reprojected
and resampled the DEM? I use this banding in the output of
r.shaded.relief to check if the reprojection/resampling settings are
ok.

OTOH, SRTM v4 elevation sometimes deviates substantially, far more
than by the original SRTM vertical error, from SRTM v2.1, and the SRTM
v4 grid geometry is weird, v4 tiles won't fit into the same
computational region because of subcell shifting, shifted by 0 to 1.5
arc sec and everything in between against each other.

my 0.2c

Markus M