[GRASS-user] how to install libLAS on MAC for use in GRASS and maybe R?

Jan Verbesselt janverbesselt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:12:36 EST 2010

Hi all,

We are working with terrestrial lidar data which can be exported to LAS format (1.1 and 1.2). I would like to explore the options to analyse the data via GRASS, R, Python.
I have seen the Lidar GRASS wiki (http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/LIDAR#Micro-tutorial) which is very nice and also the message of Hamish (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-February/048716.html)

Now I am not a very experienced with GRASS and still need to install the libLAS library on my Mac (10.6.5).  I have seen the following instructions:
http://liblas.org/compilation.html#using-xcode-on-os-x on the liblas website to compile the package for Mac. Before I start however is there an easier way to do this? Maybe via the Fink (http://www.finkproject.org/) or an mac installer?

I am happy to update the GRASS wiki with info about liblas install on mac if I manage to make it work.

Thanks,
Jan