[GRASS-user] Grid label format in psmap

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 14:13:45 EST 2010

John wrote:
> I have a UTM dataset that I am plotting with psmap.  I
> would like to have grid squares at 1000 m intervals.  I
> can do this easily with the following:
>
> grid 1000
>    color black
>    numbers 1
>    font helvetica
>    fontsize 12
> end*
>
> *However, on the resulting plot, the gridline labels are
> truncated into kilometers e.g. 498, 7114, instead of 498000,
> 7114000.  Is there a parameter that I can modify
> somewhere so that I can control output format and display
> the full number.  (Similar to D_FORMAT /
> OUTPUT_DEGREE_FORMAT in GMT, I suppose).

right, it automatically truncates off extra zeros. I usually
use the map_info instruction which shows the full bounds.

Unfortunately there's no way to switch off that feature without
modifying the source code. if you wish to do that, edit
ps/ps.map/do_grid.c and in the do_grid_numbers() function
edit this line -from, +to:

-        sprintf(num_text, "%s", format_northing(g, rounded_grid));
+        sprintf(num_text, "%s", format_northing(g, 1));

and then recompile. (untested)

you may also try out ps.output from the Addons collection, it
has more advanced border controls:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/images/probabilidad_de_infeccion_crop.jpg

(which at some point will be merged into ps.map too)

Hamish