[GRASS-user] error message when launching GRASS GIS 6.4 ORC6 on MacOSX 10.6.5 + how to uninstall - upgrade?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Nov 28 11:13:48 EST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 5:44 AM, Jan Verbesselt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When launching GRASS (installed from
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/grass) the following error message
> appears:
>
> '/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'; exit
> Cube007:~ janvb$ '/Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS/grass.sh'; exit
> Rebuilding Addon HTML manual pages index...
> ln: /Users/janvb/Library/Documentation/Help/GRASS-6.4: No such file or directory

The parent folder doesn't for some reason.  You can create it in a Terminal:

mkdir -p ~/Library/Documentation/Help

> Rebuilding Addon menu...
> 2010-11-28 12:25:14.184 osascript[2420:903] Error loading
> /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe
> Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit
> Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image
> found.  Did find:
> 	/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit
> Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: no matching architecture
> in universal wrapper
> osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition
> "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no
> loadable handlers.

This is normal Adobe nonsense and harmless.  It's from an old version of Photoshop that doesn't support 64bit (don't delete it or you won't be able to open files in Photoshop by double-click or drag-n-drop).

> Also what could I do (in the future) to upgrade GRASS to a newer
> version on Mac? Just uninstall (delete grass) and install the new
> version?

Run a new installer.  No need to delete first.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe