[GRASS-user] Feedback g.extension module on grass7.0

Patrick_schirmer patrick_GIS at gmx.ch
Mon Nov 29 04:40:45 EST 2010

Hallo Markus,

/What did not work here? Maybe we can fix it./

Basically the installation of g.extension as mentioned in previous post
"add-on installation failure". It would be so great to be able to use
this module in 6.4. There are various addons that can be found in the
grass-wiki and that are essential for basic GIS-uses but only available
in 6.5 or 7.0. Examples for me will be v.vect.stats and v.to.line.
Coming from commercial software I am used to do spatial joins as count
points in a polygon, which could only be done with v.vect.stats.
Installation of GRASS is so comfortable in Ubuntu through UbuntuGIS,
that it allowed me to try GRASS in addition to commercial software and
to test the 100%-switch. That's how I started to use GRASS recently and
honestly start loving it.

Some further comments on the installation of 7.0:
On my system the package libhdf4g-run could not be installed - I had to
use some other package and tried libhdf4-0 instead. I cannot tell how
what is the impact on the stability of GRASS this package has. In a
second installation on a Ubuntu-system in a virtual machine this
installation of libhdf4g-run was no problem though. Installation of 7.0
was not possible for me without the help of a computer scientist as I am
not used to set all depandancies of packages and compile programs
myself. I am aware that 7.0 is development version, but it is not very
promising when you search for a tool and the only answers you'll find in
various posts of the mailing lists say that this one is available as
add-on for GRASS70. Though I really liked to learn this installation
process, this is nothing an end-user wants to do when he/she wants to
provide one specific analyse.

Isn't there a way to allow the integration of most add-ons into the
stable versions being provided by repositories OR to provide the options
to setup a (parallel?) installation through a development repository as
UbuntuGIS?