[GRASS-user] Re: Generating DEM from bare ground LIDAR data: v.surf.idw or v.surf.bspline ?

Jed jedfrechette at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 11:36:44 EDT 2010

stephen sefick wrote:

> I have a multitude of DEMs to generate at 1m resolution.  Are there
> any references that compare v.surf.idw and v.surf.bspline?

You might want to look at Bater and Coops (2009), they compared the
performance of several different interpolation methods on lidar data. The
short version is that for their data IDW and regularized spline
interpolation produced the most extreme outliers while natural neighbor
interpolation performed the best. In GRASS natural neighbor interpolation
can be performed with the r.surf.nnbathy add-on.

I hope this helps.

Bater, C. W. & Coops, N. C. Evaluating error associated with lidar-derived
DEM interpolation. Computers & Geosciences, 2009, v. 35,  p.289-300
DOI: 10.1016/j.cageo.2008.09.001

--
Jed Frechette

Lidar Guys