[GRASS-user] r.stream.basins error

Francesco Mirabella mirabell at unipg.it
Tue Oct 12 06:50:37 EDT 2010

Hi,
more detailes are these,  I can not reproduce it on speafish,

Grass 6.4 rc6 compiled on debian testing
The dem is the srtm 90 m dem, cut on an area of 12064631712 Square
meters (1206463 hectars).
The region was set to the dem raster, I provided a minimum flow
accumulation of 100 to get a "reasonable" river network.
Hope this can help

Francesco

Jasiewicz Jarosław wrote:
>  W dniu 12.10.2010 09:49, Francesco Mirabella pisze:
>> Hi,
>> thanks for you message,
>> the modules were compiled from the add-ons about one week ago, I
>> suppose they should be the updated version.
>> What do you mean by "unique streams"? If you mean the number of
>> streams which come out from the operation, these are about 7500. Do
>> you think is the area too large? BTW I was successful with r.watershed
>> on the same dataset but I just wanted to test these new modules
>>
>> Francesco
>>

>> Jarek Jasiewicz wrote:

>>> such errors appears when region dir map and stream map comes from
>>> different operations. Try if you are using most actual
>>> r.stream.extract and r.stream basins modules.
>>> How much unique streams you have created with r.stream.extract?

> GRASS 6 or 7?
>
> This error appears when the number of possible outlets overcome the
> allocated memory for given raster. Memory is allocated as a sum of
> vertical and horizontal resolution times 2. If the number of possible
> outlets overcomes that values the error is throwing. In most standard
> network this allocation is enough and is stored as a bug-handler to
> avoid crashes or infinite loops if user will use maps from different
> sources.
>
> If you have a 7500 streams and you have raster map grater than 2000x2000
> cells it should not happen. If not I have a problem.
>
> For future use:
>
> if you find any problem with continuosly developed software (like these
> in add-ons) first:
>
> - give us more information about version, of your GRASS and add-on
> - try to reproduce this error on standard GRASS dataset like SPEARFISH
> or NC
> if error canot be reproduced:
> - give us more information of data type you are using: resolution,
> region etc.

Francesco Mirabella,
Geologia Strutturale e Geofisica
Universita' di Perugia,
Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra,
Piazza Universita' 1, 06100 Perugia (Italy)
tel: ++39.(0)75.584.7948
fax: ++39.(0)75.585.2603
skype: francesco.mirabella
web: http://www.unipg.it/~mirabell/