[GRASS-user] Question about r.in.xyz

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 14:27:42 EDT 2010

Franz wrote:
> I have a simple question related with r.in.xyz:
> When I import a ASCII file I do this:
> r.in.xyz input="C:\Test_areas\graphbased\filev2" output="v2 at PERMANENT"
>
> But in the metadata I get the following:
> - number of categories: 255 => Why is this? I haven't set
> anything

that's simply a function of what's present in your input data.
for floating point values it will just be the next highest
integer beyond the maximum data value and can be ignored.

see also the output of r.univar and the display histogram tool.

> - and in the r.info v2 I get a command slightly different from
> the one I typed:
> r.in.xyz input="C:\Test_areas\graphbased\saidav2" \
>   output="v2 at PERMANENT" method="mean" type="FCELL" fs=" " \
>   x=1 y=2 z=3 zscale=1.0 percent=100
> Why?

it's the same thing, just that the default options have been
explicitly, instead of implicitly, listed.

output= should not be given an @mapset part, as output is
always in the current mapset.

no worries,
Hamish